Wednesday, December 2, 2009

FALL SEMESTER 2008
















"John Lennon"
Color intaglio














"John Lennon, Imagine"
Color Intaglio, multi-plate.


The John Lennon series was inspired by the ideals that John Lennon expressed about peace and unity, which is something that I admired greatly. During this semester I was feeling a great frustration with the hateful sentiments being thrown around in the final months of the presidential election. I wanted to evoke the same feeling of peace and love to the viewer and make them think about John Lennon;s ideals regarding humanity and the world.

This series marked my introduction into color printing. A majority of the images are simultaneous color printing, using only one plate and adding different colors to different areas of the plate. In the print at the top (with the warm colors--red, orange and yellow) I applied red to the plate, and wiped it clean. The red stayed in the shadowed areas of Lennon's face, and left a slight pink plate tone. I then wiped all plate tone away from the border with paper towel, and rolled yellow ink only on the background. The yellow mixed with the plate tone of the background to create orange, and the border stayed pure yellow since it was free of plate tone. This technique gave me far more options for color combinations than multi-plate color printing, and often my favorite prints were achieved through successful experimentation.

I added a secondary plate of the "Imagine" mosiacs (a mosaic memorial located in central park near where Lennon was killed) and printed it on top of the John Lennon print. The addition of this secondary plate was inspired by Lennon's song titled "Imagine" which specifically addresses his ideals regarding humanity. I wanted the viewer to read the word "Imagine" and think of the song and the lyrics.

No comments: